Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Day the World Changed

It is unbelievable to me that it has been six years since the tragedy of 9/11. It is one of those days that is imprinted on my heart and mind for life. I remember exactly where I was when I found out about the first World Trade Center being attacked. In my safe, naive, American world I knew it had to have been an accident... and then the other building... gone. My image that I had held onto my whole life of a secure, idealistic, United States changed in an instant. I never knew of such hate before. I had lived almost a quarter of a century on that day and I had never once thought about terrorism. HUGE reality check. This was a pure moment. A moment where I truly had to think about others before myself. I always thought I was socially aware and conscious of others but we live in a nation of privilege and security. Our security had been threatened and there was a loss and grief beyond the comprehension of words or feelings... so what happened next?

The thing that compels me most when I remember the circumstances surrounding 9/11 is the unity and LOVE that brought all of us together. In an instant we all came together as Americans and just loved one another. As I watched the continuing coverage on the news I grieved with those who lost loved ones, I prayed for the heroes and leaders in charge, I loved and I watched everyone else love. I saw every backgroud come together and lift each other up. We embraced those we never knew. We cried alongside of our neighbor. We all felt the need for each other... no life was taken for granted. I sometimes wonder when the switch flipped back again. When did life just casually slip back to the way it used to be? When did we all start taking life and love for granted again? I am just as guilty of taking these things for granted but I pray that the lessons of 9/11 will remain with me forever. I grieve for the loss of the husband, wives, mothers, sisters, brothers. I pray for our leaders and civic heroes. I just want to love. After all it is only love that will overpower the hate. Love like you mean it and never forget!

No comments: