Friday, September 14, 2007

The Full Circle Friendship

I have an uncanny ability to pick up right where I left off. It's really weird actually. When I am holding a conversation with someone and the subject moves on to something different I can get back to the original conversation like nothing happened in between. I just like the idea of completing the thought process. I picked up where I left off in another way this week.

A couple of years ago I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue. I had a friend there that I instantly bonded with. She was artistic, crazy, quirky, fun, energetic, and very comfortable in her own skin. She was also a pale skinned tanorexic, dark haired chica like myself. We just got each other. The last day I ever saw her was August 9, 2003, the day I got married. That same week while Darrell and I went on our honeymoon she moved to Indiana. We stayed in touch for a while but we eventually lost touch. I have always had her on my heart and secretly hoped she'd reappear. This week we have officially picked up where we left off. She called me a couple of weeks ago to tell me that she went through a very difficult period in her life and needed to move back to Orlando. She was wondering if I could help her get a job quickly. I was more than happy to grant her that favor. She officially started working with me this week and my boss asked me to train her so we've been able to spend a lot of time together. I feel like she never left. We were laughing today about some of the memories we have together and she confirmed my feeling as well. She said to me, "laughing about that makes me feel like I never left." I love that. In that moment it was as if August 2003 just picked up again in September 2007 with no lapse in between. This blesses me beyond words.

If this type of full circle friendship can continue with us imagine what God is capable of. I've had lapses in my life when my relationship and friendship with Him has not been maintained. I missed my time connecting with Him. I felt guilty for not reading my bible like I should or talking to Him regularly. I now realize that He is waiting in anticipation for me to contribute to our relationship again during those times. I think God just wants to hang out with me. He wants to be the friend that sticks closer than a brother to me. He wants to do life with me. I'm so amazed that He wants to know me through everything. The joys, the sorrows, the ups, the downs. He is my rock and my salvation. He is the ultimate friend and I'm so glad I can live in the assurance that He will never leave me. He waits for me. Be encouraged that He waits for you to. If you've had a season of wondering He anticipates picking up where you left off. God is love.

No comments: