Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Teach In

I spent some time today in Ms. Fryfogle's fourth grade class at Vista Lakes Elementary. I had a lot of fun with the kids! Ms. Fryfogle happens to be my sister Cassie. Today was teach in day. Basically it was a day for adults to come in and talk about their job. We called it Career Day back in the 80's. I took Leigh Ann Ward with me. She was my model as I did makeup for the class. We started with natural makeup and then moved on to the really funky stuff. I kept it decent enough for lunch out later. I could have really gone dramatic but I held back a little. It was the first time she ever wore fake eyelashes. The kids told us we were pretty and had a lot of interesting questions. I like anyone who says I'm pretty. They became my new BFF's! One little boy showed me his notebook of artwork. He is very talented. I told him to keep it up. I love it when adults nurture the artistic side in children. Who knows what we are suppressing when we don't encourage our children's creativity? They are the next generation of innovators. I think our educational system is a bit too textbook and not enough hands on or creative. Kids are all expected to learn in the same way. I struggled with that when I was young. I've always felt somewhat intelligent but I was always discouraged in the manner in which I was expected to learn. That's a whole tangent I won't go into further though. I called Ms. Fryfogle Cassie a couple of times. Not very appropriate or respectful. Oh well, we grew up together... all appropriate behavior flies out the window. I loved it and always enjoy hanging out with children. They are SO crazy and fun! My sister is great with children and I know she is an amazing teacher. I hope I can go back and visit all of my new friends soon!

No comments: