Saturday, December 1, 2007

Confessions of A Reformed Joel Osteen Judger (is that a real word)?

*I absolutely cannot sleep! Darrell is away this weekend in North Carolina to meet with a Connections Pastor at a church up there. They are doing that whole "iron sharpens iron" thing. He's excited to see what he can take in from a church that has an incredible connections ministry. I couldn't get off of work so I am in bed... alone.... with Lola (my adorable cat). These are the moments I realize how codependent I really am!

I went to hear Joel Osteen tonight with my mom at the Amway Arena. I used to have feelings about Joel's ministry approach. Feelings is a nice word. I had judgements. Isn't it amazing that the largest church in America is also the most criticized? God obviously sees fit to allow blessings in his ministry in a major way. I sat there tonight and heard truth from the scripture. It spoke to me and it was what I needed to hear. I saw an arena full of people out on a Friday night worshipping God and listening intently to a message from Him. He spoke on joy. JOY! I love joy! I want to pursue more joy! God wants us to pursue Him... the giver of that joy. I told my mom after the message that I'm going to try really hard to not let others steal my joy. This is a tough one for me. I don't know Mr. Osteen but it seems as though he is just trying to pursue a vision bigger than himself. A God-sized vision. It seems as though he knows his gifts and uses those to reach out to those who are without hope. I can't speak for him but I'm done judging his approach or methods. I connected with God in a very real way tonight. God has set apart Lakewood Church and Joel Osteen for a reason.

Sounds familiar. C3 may not be seating tens upon thousands in arenas... yet :) but the vision is clear. We have been set apart for a purpose. Twenty one people will be publicly acknowledging their new life with Christ this Sunday in baptism. If that isn't God's blessing then I don't know what is?! I sat in an arena tonight realizing that ANYTHING is possible with God. It is not about filling an auditorium for the sake of a numerical digit. Each and every seat represented a life... a changed life. God has shown Himself incredibly faithful to me as I've seen the one by one turn into hundreds in just a year. God is allowing a buzz to be spread about C3 and what we stand for. We aren't a body of "churched" people... we are the church. We have the privilege of being led by a pastor who stands firm to what God has called him to. With that has come its fair share of critics but that's okay. Jesus had more than His fair share of critics too. They were too churched for their own good (much like myself at one point). I think we're in good company. So I have joy! Joy in the fact that God is blessing in huge ways. Joy in knowing that God is using the greatest church in the world, C3, to accomplish the Great Commission here in my community. Joy in knowing that things are only just beginning. God rocks my socks off!

No comments: