Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A Triggered Life

It is the tendency of most people to want to surround themselves with friends who lift each other up. I'm not any different. As I go through each day I find myself drawn to those that engage in a lifestyle of encouragement. It sustains me. It is God encouraging me through those people. It is my heart's desire to be that person to others as well. My life is not my own. It is God's. I am to be an extension of His love and encouragement. I am reminded in my relationships that I have choices to make everyday. I choose if I'm going to surround myself with those who lift up or those who tear down. I choose if I'm going to press forward or if I'm going to sit and sulk. I choose if I'm going to live in self motivation or if I'm going to focus on others. I choose if I'm going to make Christ my Master or if I'm going to allow circumstances to rule my thoughts. I'm on a journey to be cheerful no matter what. When I choose to have dialog with God in every area of my life I've found that it really does make it possible to live in a cheerful and encouraging manner. He gives me the hope I need no matter what.

I've been praying a lot about some very specific areas in my life lately. I'm excited that I have the promise that God will make everything holy and whole. I know His plan is perfect. I'm refreshed with the people He's put in my life to encourage me in this. I see those in my life now doing amazing things for His glory. I'm encouraged by the selflessness. As I strive to seek Him more the "freeloaders" are finding their ways out of my life making room for the ones who truly need to know His love. The exhausted, the ones who need to be pulled to their feet... the stragglers. The ones who come with nothing and end up with everything as they find their way towards the One who completes us. It is those who are new in their walk with Christ that teach me the most at times. I'm affected by the change, the love, the hope, the journey. I'm challenged by the selflessness. The reflection of God in their lives is like food for my soul. It spurs me on to choose the things that really matter in my life. It releases me from my "freeloader" mentality. The attitude of how everything revolves around me. The attitude of "I've done this... I deserve this." The reminder is clear when I look into the eyes of my friends who have found Christ in circumstances I don't really know if I could have handled in my own life. I've done nothing and I deserve nothing. It is only by God's barbaric grace that I have everything I could possibly ever want or need. This is the encouragement. This is the hope.

My heart is full of gratitude. It beats for those who have a lifestyle of encouragement. It pushes me to encourage as well. My grateful heart presses me to come along side those who are seeking hope. I know the way of hope because I live in that hope. We are the vessels God uses to show others His light. I breathe my next breath living a triggered life. Triggered by the death and ressurection of Jesus. Triggered by His love for me. This life I have is not about MY pain, MY sufferings, MY desires, MY knowledge, MY works, MY whatever. It is about MY God and MY influence for Him to OTHERS. I must choose today to use my influence to be an encouragement. I also want to thank you for yours. No one must be left out. No one left behind.

1 Thessolonians 5:4-24
4 -8But friends, you're not in the dark, so how could you be taken off guard by any of this? You're sons of Light, daughters of Day. We live under wide open skies and know where we stand. So let's not sleepwalk through life like those others. Let's keep our eyes open and be smart. People sleep at night and get drunk at night. But not us! Since we're creatures of Day, let's act like it. Walk out into the daylight sober, dressed up in faith, love, and the hope of salvation.

9 -11God didn't set us up for an angry rejection but for salvation by our Master, Jesus Christ. He died for us, a death that triggered life. Whether we're awake with the living or asleep with the dead, we're alive with him! So speak encouraging words to one another. Build up hope so you'll all be together in this, no one left out, no one left behind. I know you're already doing this; just keep on doing it.

12 -13And now, friends, we ask you to honor those leaders who work so hard for you, who have been given the responsibility of urging and guiding you along in your obedience. Overwhelm them with appreciation and love!

13 -15Get along among yourselves, each of you doing your part. Our counsel is that you warn the freeloaders to get a move on. Gently encourage the stragglers, and reach out for the exhausted, pulling them to their feet. Be patient with each person, attentive to individual needs. And be careful that when you get on each other's nerves you don't snap at each other. Look for the best in each other, and always do your best to bring it out.

16 -18Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live.

19 -22Don't suppress the Spirit, and don't stifle those who have a word from the Master. On the other hand, don't be gullible. Check out everything, and keep only what's good. Throw out anything tainted with evil.

23 -24May God himself, the God who makes everything holy and whole, make you holy and whole, put you together—spirit, soul, and body—and keep you fit for the coming of our Master, Jesus Christ. The One who called you is completely dependable. If he said it, he'll do it!

2 comments:

My Own Bandwagon said...

So Deep, So True.

Anonymous said...

Oh Leigh Ann, what can I say about you? You are a great encouragement to me. I admire your tenacity in standing up for what you believe. I also love that you bring humor into my crazy world!