Saturday, October 27, 2007

Loving the Rain

Most days I don't like rain. I don't like the overcast weather. I don't like how frizzy my hair gets when it's raining outside. I don't like the overall dreary feeling of rainy days.

Today was different. I was outside pulling some weeds in our front yard and our girls were playing soccer in the grass. All of a sudden HUGE raindrops started falling from the sky. The girls screamed and ran into the garage and yelled for me to come in so I wouldn't get wet. I stayed, continuing the dreaded task of pulling the weeds. After they saw I wasn't melting, I told them they could join me in the rain. They looked at me like I had a third eyeball. Emma, our practical one, said, "Mom, are you serious? We're going to get all wet." After I assured them that it was fine, they came out in the POURING down rain.

We ran around in our driveway, chasing each other, jumping in the puddles for the next 15 minutes. They kept saying things like, "This is so much fun!" "This is better than Sea World!" and "This is the best day ever!"

After we came in from the rain and dried off, I realized how much fun a simple thing like playing in the rain can be. I was also reminded to appreciate the "rain" in my life. This year I've learned a lot about walking through the storms of life. I've learned that even though it's not always fun to be stuck in the rain or in the middle of a storm, God NEVER lets go of me. He carries me through and the storms help mold me more into the person God wants me to be.

I can truly say I am thankful for the rain: the rain I played in today with my daughters and the rain in life that God brings my way!

1 comment:

Darrell said...

Thanks Amanda,
What a great blog with awesome words of encouragement. Sometimes encouragement comes from unexpected surprises. Your blog was one of those surprises for me today. Thanks for letting God use you and your precious little ones today.