Sunday, October 7, 2007

Waiting for the Sunrise

On Thursday morning I watched the sunrise from above the clouds. It was nothing less than breathtaking. Vivid shades of orange and pink transformed the sky into a work of art. But before long some dark billowing clouds rolled in and covered the sun. I watched the black clouds and the lightening striking within the clouds for only a few minutes and then tried to get some rest. I was awakened by the bright sun blaring through the window of the plane. All the dark clouds were gone and there was nothing but blue sky and sunshine.

I spent the next 2 ½ days at a hospital by my Dad’s bedside; holding his hand, stroking his head and telling him how much I love him. Even though I knew he was ready to go to heaven, I just wasn’t quite ready to let him go. On Saturday morning around 6 am he took his final breaths and made the transition from earth to heaven. I’m sure all of heaven was rejoicing as my Dad entered the gates to meet Jesus.

There’s so much I could say about my Dad. He was an awesome dad and grandfather. He always considered the needs of others above himself. He even told everyone that he wouldn’t die until I had the opportunity to get to Pennsylvania to say goodbye to him. He even waited until Travis and the boys made the long 20 hour drive. Just hours after Caleb and Luke said goodbye to their grandpa he passed away. He considered himself lucky that he had the opportunity to say goodbye to the people he loved the most. Not all of us will have this opportunity, but we do have the opportunity to be prepared for the day when our lives here on earth will end, whatever the circumstances. My dad accepted Christ when he was in his 40’s. On that day he secured his salvation and his eternity with Christ in preparation for this time. My dad loved his Lord and never hesitated to share that love with the people around him. He had the awesome privilege to lead my grandmother and my aunt to Christ before they passed away. Even on his death bed his biggest concern was for the salvation of his brother. Through the oxygen mask he shared the Gospel and urged his brother to accept Christ so he could see him again someday in heaven.

The last few days have been so crazy. Right now I feel like I’m trapped in those big black billowing clouds. But I know that God has more beautiful sunrises and bright sunny days ahead for me. Thanks to the love, encouragement, support, and prayers of my husband, family, and friends those sunrises won’t be too far off. Maybe this morning my Dad got to see the sunrise from above the clouds…or maybe there were too many other amazing things to see and do in heaven to be bothered with a boring old sunrise.

4 comments:

Angie Bledsoe said...

We will wait with you for that day when that sunset will break through the clouds. Thank you for sharing your journey with us...you are, to those of us who love you, a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. We love you. Peace and comfort to you.

Darrell said...

Sandi, I know what it is like to say good bye to your dad so he can make his way to heaven. It is so hard letting them go, but their life with our Lord and Savior is probably beyond anything we can even imagine. We love you and please know that you and the entire family are in our prayers. May God's comfort and peace that passes our understanding fill your heart to overflowing.
Love,
Darrell & Andrea

Anonymous said...

Sandi
You're in our thoughts.
Colleen, Jim and Natalie Wilson

Monica Hunt said...

Sandi,

We miss you guys and are praying for you. We hope if there's anything you guys need you won't hesitate to ask. See you soon.
Love ya

Matt and Monica