Saturday, July 21, 2007

I'm back!!!



Where can I start? There is so much I need to blog about. Darrell and I got back from Texas and got our computer back but our phone line was messed up. Even with the computer back there was no way for me to get on the Internet. It was one thing after another with me! Well, the phone company fixed whatever the problem was yesterday and here I am! It's great to be back with all my blogger chicas!

I've been dying to tell everyone about our trip to Texas with the youth. We got there on Monday and on Tuesday we were already out doing home recovery work. I was blessed to be with a family I absolutely fell in love with. Let me tell you about them. The first day we came it was Miss Fannie (almost 80 year old great-grandmother), her daughter, and the three great grandchildren; Chris-12, DJ-10, and India-5. Some of the girls and I decided to get to know the kids and play with them while some others rebuilt Miss Fannie's ceiling for her. India immediately climbed in my lap and put her head on me shoulder as she wrapped her little arms around me. I instantly fell in love. Chris saw all the adorable teenage girls and went to the bathroom and gargled with some mouthwash only to be called out on it by his brother DJ. He smirked with embarrassment. When we first got there they were watching music videos on BET in a small dark room of the house. We went outside and played basketball, danced, and just got all of our energy out. India taught me how to "pop, lock and drop it" and the "one, two step." If anyone knows anything about me they know that learning new dance moves is something I'm always up for. That was only day one.

Day two was just as amazing and exciting. I got to know the children even better and took some time to really get to know Miss Fannie while the kids played. I learned that she is a Christ follower and attends a Baptist church down the street from her. She told me about her husband who had passed away thirty years ago, her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. She spoke with such love and compassion for her family. This was a woman that to most of us had very, very little in material items but she never once complained... in fact all she did was talk about her blessings... she told me that we were a blessing to her. As we were there we picked up on a few things. The meager amount of food in the house, the burnt electrical wires in the ceiling fans that she couldn't afford to replace, the bread she fed the dogs because she couldn't afford dog food, the heat in the in her home from the Texas weather with very little air circulating in the house, the lack of activities and games for the children who stayed with her for three full meals everyday. I felt like I lived a very selfish life the more I fell in love with this family. I went on with my day hanging out with the kids. I taught India my dance moves and sang songs to her from Powerhouse... she loved them and wanted to learn more. The boys played with our youth and were elated all day to take a break from the chores they help Miss Fannie with daily. I watched as the youth worked so hard restoring the house and never complained once. They loved this family and knew that they were making a difference in people's lives. They were amazing examples of Christ's love for others. I could tell I was going to have separation anxiety.

Day three for me was the best and the most emotional. The night before we shared with the rest of the group about our family. The other groups either didn't have a family in their homes or didn't get to spend much time with theirs. The group wanted to use their spending money to make donations for our family. Byron, Angie, Darrell and myself decided to go to Walmart and get some necessities and some fun things for them. Kayleigh got together with some people and made a list of some things they thought the kids would love. When we got everything we took the whole group to Miss Fannie's house on day three to give her the things we had bought. I think it was great for all the kid's to see the difference they were making even if they hadn't met anyone in their own homes. We pulled the huge bus in front of their house and unloaded Byron's truck. We knocked on the door and brought the family around the house to see their gifts. We started with the kids. Chris and DJ got a new basketball net, new basketballs, football, board games (one of them being "Operation" because two of the kids want to be doctors), some Billy Bob teeth, silly putty, and other little things. India got a Barbie doll house, a "real" Barbie doll (that's how she described it), some extra clothes for Barbie, a small basketball hoop that she had been wanting so she could play with her brothers, some books and watercolors. The expressions on their faces was priceless. Then we told Miss Fannie how her spirit and love blessed us and we wanted to be a blessing to her. We then presented her with a new ceiling fan, some portable fans for her house, and a $200 gift card to buy groceries to which she replied by saying, "Praise the Lord" while she clapped her hands in joy. She proceeded to say that she was so impressed with our kids and it gave her hope for the youth that a group would be so selfless.

God taught me a lot through Miss Fannie and the kids. Chris later said, "you all gave us so much" but I feel like they gave me more. I came away with love for a family I never would have met if we chose to stay comfortable just doing the typical youth camp thing. I'm so grateful we were able to do service for others on this trip. I'm so thankful for what I have and I pray God never lets me forget what He has blessed me with. I'm thankful for the "Miss Fannie's" out there that love the Lord with all their heart and make so many sacrifices for their families. There was a lot that happened at iMac and I'll tell you more later but for now I want to remember Miss Fannie's love. Thank you Lord.

No comments: