Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Devil is Real

Today Byron's sermon was titled "The Devil Is Real". There were several things that challenged me this morning. I have to make a conscious effort to make every second of my life count. In the one hour that I was at church this morning, I was focused on worshipping. However, that is ONE hour of my week. When I am not making an effort to be focused on God and the things of God, that is when Satan will tempt me and try to make me fail at living a Christ-centered life. Satan is very real and he is my enemy and anyone else's enemy who claims to be a Christ-follower.

An area in my life that I have really been struggling with this lately is anger. I have come to realize that it is not other people who are the enemy--it is Satan who is the enemy! He loves the fact that I can get so worked up about how someone has hurt me or my church. A lot of times I try to justify my anger in my mind and say, it's okay to be mad--look at what that person said or look at how that person treated me.

When I spend my time being angry or bitter, Satan is getting all of the glory. He has the victory. I am making a conscious effort this week to NOT waste my time on things that are not God-honoring.

*I will not waste my time being angry. Instead I will pray for those who hurt me. I will love them.

*I will not waste my time feeling sorry for myself. Instead I will count my blessings.

*I will not waste my time gossipping or talking negatively about others. Instead I will encourage those around me.

*I will not waste my time being frustrated with my kids or husband about little things that don't really matter. Instead I will praise them and appreciate the little things they do.

*I will not waste my time watching mindless t.v. (Except for maybe "So You Think You Can Dance").

I WILL make a conscious effort to live a life that honors Christ!

3 comments:

My Own Bandwagon said...

I think we need to start a blogging book club! Cause I am looking way to forward to reading everyone's new entry! Tee-Hee. You know me...I am full of ideas.

Angie Bledsoe said...

Right on! Of course, I've never struggled with any anger/resentment issues my own self...(apparently, I just struggle with the truth).
Seriously, you're right on - except for maybe the t.v. part, that's little too close to home! We are all on a mission to prove that love wins - and I know it will. Peace.

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
This encouraged me so much! Thanks for your inspiring words! :)
-Monica