Monday, June 25, 2007

Perfect

Until today the word "perfect" described my driving record. I had never gotten a ticket, caused an accident, or even been pulled over for a warning before. Not even a parking ticket. I was proud of my perfect driving record. But lately, God has been trying to teach me that I can't be perfect and, more importantly, that I shouldn't expect perfection from my children or my husband or my friends. I have a tendency to let little mistakes ruin my day, my week, my world. I wish I would have learned this simple lesson before this morning.

You see, I was running late for a doctor's appointment. If you know me at all, then you know that I am always running late. There was a speed trap in the Quadrangle. The police officer walked out into the road in front of me and pointed to me. I felt that dropping feeling in my stomach. I drove away after less than 5 minutes with a ticket for $155.50 for going 42 MPH in 30 MPH zone. My children thought I was going to have to go to jail. My six-year-old (Luke) even offered to pay the ticket from the money in his piggy bank to keep Mommy out of jail. Caleb made fun of me at the doctor's office saying "Hi, my name is Sandi. I was just pulled over. Will you be my friend?" My children made me laugh. My kids don't expect me to be perfect. Then I called my amazing, loving husband. He told me not to worry about it because it isn't a big deal and reminded me how much he loves me. My husband brightened my day. He doesn't expect me to be perfect either. Then I met some friends at the Splash Zone. They told me their "driving infraction stories"...many of which were much more exciting than mine. They made me laugh. My friends don't expect me to be perfect.

I thought about how I react sometimes when my kids and my husband mess up. How I often tell Travis to "slow down because you're going to get a ticket." How I tell my children that they need to slow down and consider the consequences of their actions. So, it's my turn to slow down and thank my perfect God for blessing me with family and friends who don't expect me to be perfect. My day was not ruined. Actually, it has been a great day. And hopefully this time I've learned the lesson that God has been trying to teach me and I will respond to my children, husband and friends with encouraging words when they mess up like me. And in case I don't, feel free to ask me about how I lost my cell phone or just say "$155.50."

3 comments:

Angie Bledsoe said...

There are very few subjects you could bring up around me that I wouldn't be able to tell you a personal horror story and make you feel much better about yourself.
I noticed, today, that I hadn't even gotten to my high-speed chase tale, before you seemed to be reconsidering your driving abilities (which are above-average, by the way).
So, anytime you start to feel down about yourself, I'll take you to lunch, and you'll leave feeling like Oprah (you) compared to Jerry Springer (me).
Thanks for a great day! Peace.

Anonymous said...

I can't even count how many times I've been pulled over for speeding. I have a lead foot! It is not true that ladies can get out of tickets. I always get a ticket! I'm only allowed one more driving school in my entire life! You are my HERO!
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Sandi,
I just have to say I can see Caleb saying that to you! :) Don't feel bad about the ticket...I just turned 22 and I have only been driving for a small 6 years, well I have gotten at least 3 tickets! I may have gotten more...I just can't remember. Oh my! Anyway, I just wanted to tell you don't feel bad! :) Your blog made Matt and I smile! :) It's good to have you guys back!
-Monica