Saturday, August 18, 2007

Spiritual Pedigrees

There was a time in my life when I really wanted people to see my life as somewhat perfect. It is a natural tendency for most christians. We feel like if we mask our flaws or overstate the "right" in our lives somehow that will attract unbelievers to Christ. I have now come to realize quite the opposite. I am nothing but a selfish, flawed, and sinful person by nature. The only man who walked this earth as a perfect individual was Jesus Christ. I strive to be more like Him but I would be foolish to think that I am not like everybody else. Romans 4 reminds us that no one is righteous. We are all destructive by nature. The only way to righteousness is through Christ alone. He frees us from our greed, our lies, our destuctive ways, our pasts... He frees us from ourselves. He freed me and I am eternally grateful. I wonder why we forget what God brought us out of. Some feel God has saved them from more than others but He ultimately saves us all from the same thing. Death and separation from Him. I can't imagine my life without God. I know I cannot claim anything on my own because it is only Him who gives me strenth to forgive, to be kind, to seek after Him, to focus on the things that matter. I am NOTHING without Christ. It makes me so sad that people forget that. We cannot do anything in our own might. I am so broken but Jesus has the ability to fix my brokeness. I wish more Christ followers would portray themselves as real people with real problems and point others to the real and only solution. The piety and self righteousness means nothing to me now. I have come to terms with my sin nature. I seek yet I will stumble. I must get up and keep seeking though. The world sees right through the phony catergories we place ourselves in and quite frankly... that's the wall that hinders many from Christ's love. I'm not interested in claiming the higher ground on my own because without the Lord I am stuck in a valley . He is the only one who has the right to make a claim on me. I am not interested in comparing myself with others because I am uniquely designed by Christ. I do not state my spiritual pedigree because I am never going to be good enough to. (Titus 3) I only seek Him, love Him and love others because that is all He requires. I am covered by His blood and I will never forget what He has saved me from.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too true. I just read a book 'More Ready Than You Realize' by Brian McLaren about evangelism (what it should be anyhow, not necessarily what it is today). In a section he was talking about how w/ many people, belonging (to a community of faith) preceeds belief. He gives an example of one guy who started playing volleyball w/ the church. He then attended and became involved w/ the singles group for a LONG time before he came to faith in Christ. When later asked what made this guy want to keep coming/seeking, he said he realized that the believers were so much like him. (Many did not realize he wasn't a Christ follower and would ask him to pray for their troubles/ decisions). It was their weaknesses and imperfections that drew him! (2 Cor. 12:9-10) Why is it so easy for us to forget this?